[tor-talk] New arm version doesn't show connections

Stephan Seitz stse+tor at fsing.rootsland.net
Thu Dec 15 08:28:27 UTC 2011

Hi Damian!

On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 09:58:41AM -0800, Damian Johnson wrote:
>Hi Stephan. This is the first that I've heard of connection panel
>issues related to upgrading. Here's some things to check...

Well, I checked my aptitude log, and tor-arm was the only upgraded tor
packaged. My tor version is 0.2.2.34 (recommended) (from the arm tool,
Debian version 0.2.2.34-1~~squeeze+1).

The older version of arm was running as root, the new version is running
as debian-tor user (I tried it as root user with the same symptoms).

>- When connection resolution fails several times arm falls back to
>another connection resolver, logging a notice as it does so. Do you
>have any connection related log messages?

Here are the log messages when I start arm as root (from today):
  09:02:43 [ARM_NOTICE] Unable to prepopulate bandwidth information (insufficient uptime)
  09:02:43 [ARM_NOTICE] Arm is currently running with root permissions. This is not a good idea, and will still work perfectly well if it's run with
    the same user as Tor (ie, starting with "sudo -u debian-tor arm").
  09:02:43 [ARM_NOTICE] No armrc loaded, using defaults. You can customize arm by placing a configuration file at '/root/.arm/armrc' (see the armrc.sa-
    mple for its options).
  09:02:43 [NOTICE] New control connection opened.
  02:40:12 [NOTICE] Tor 0.2.2.34 (git-c55c166e73d500af) opening new log file.

Here are the logs from yesterday, running arm as debian-tor user and
having tor restarted:
12:14:35 [NOTICE] Performing bandwidth self-test...done.                                                                                             │
│12:13:22 [NOTICE] Self-testing indicates your DirPort is reachable from the outside. Excellent.                                                      │
│12:12:37 [ARM_NOTICE] Unable to prepopulate bandwidth information (insufficient uptime)                                                              │
│12:12:37 [ARM_NOTICE] No armrc loaded, using defaults. You can customize arm by placing a configuration file at '/var/lib/tor/.arm/armrc' (see the   │
│  armrc.sample for its options).                                                                                                                     │
│12:12:37 [NOTICE] New control connection opened.                                                                                                     │
│12:12:22 [NOTICE] Bootstrapped 100%: Done.                                                                                                           │
│12:12:22 [NOTICE] Tor has successfully opened a circuit. Looks like client functionality is working.                                                 │
│12:12:19 [NOTICE] Bootstrapped 90%: Establishing a Tor circuit.                                                                                      │
│12:12:18 [NOTICE] Bootstrapped 85%: Finishing handshake with first hop.                                                                              │
│12:12:18 [NOTICE] Self-testing indicates your ORPort is reachable from the outside. Excellent. Publishing server descriptor.                         │
│12:12:18 [NOTICE] Bootstrapped 80%: Connecting to the Tor network.                                                                                   │
│12:12:18 [NOTICE] We now have enough directory information to build circuits.                                                                        │
│12:12:15 [NOTICE] Your Tor server's identity key fingerprint is 'fsingtor D21CA85C6658E17E366E6D1309F6D0EA0A665134'                                  │
│12:12:15 [NOTICE] OpenSSL OpenSSL 0.9.8o 01 Jun 2010 looks like version 0.9.8m or later; I will try SSL_OP to enable renegotiation                   │
│12:12:15 [NOTICE] Configured to measure statistics. Look for the *-stats files that will first be written to the data directory in 24 hours from now.│
│12:12:14 [NOTICE] Parsing GEOIP file /usr/share/tor/geoip.                                                                                           │
│12:12:14 [NOTICE] Tor 0.2.2.34 (git-c55c166e73d500af) opening log file

The system is a vServer (2.6.18-028stab093.2) with an uptime of 78 days, so the new kernel version.

>- I don't recall if this is the case with Debian or not, but many
>platforms require that you have the same permissions as the tor
>process to see its connections. In this case you'd do that by running
>'sudo -u debian-tor arm'.

See above. I am using "su -c arm debian-tor" for the new version.
The new version is using the control socket "/var/run/tor/control", but
no change if I use the control port again.

>- If all else fails you can try running 'python
>/usr/share/arm/test.py', which lets you run through connection
>resolvers to see which should be working or not.

Well, for the tests I have to activate the control port again. But the
first test fails:
Selection: 1

proc        126 results     0.0228 seconds
netstat     126 results     0.0288 seconds
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "/usr/share/arm/test.py", line 43, in <module>
     connectionResults = connections.getConnections(resolver, "tor", conn.getMyPid())
   File "/usr/share/arm/util/connections.py", line 242, in getConnections
     results = sysTools.call(cmd)
   File "/usr/share/arm/util/sysTools.py", line 330, in call
     else: raise errorExc
IOError: 'sockstat' is unavailable

The resolver dump is working for proc, netstat and lsof (root and
debian-tor). I had to run the script with LANG=C, or it would not work in
my German locale. But running arm with LANG=C does not change the
problem.

Shade and sweet water!

	Stephan

--