[tor-talk] Tor Browser Bundle w Linux Packaging & TAILS improvements/new distribution

Chris tmail299 at errtech.com
Wed Dec 14 01:12:38 UTC 2011

> On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 10:34:03PM -0500, Chris wrote:
>> While I would not suggest eliminating the tarball completely as there is
>> more to the world than just debian I do think the manual installation is
>> cumbersome and risky for the user. It make no sense to recommend manual
>> installation when there is a better system that is already being used.
>
> I do agree with this statement. Debian users that can get the TorBrowser
> from Debian repositories should be able to do so.
>
> Except that getting the Tor Browser in Debian requires quite some work.
>
> Some people gathered to discuss praticalities of the Tor ecosystem in
> Debian during the last DebConf. A summary of that discussion was sent on
> the tor-dev@ mailing-list last july [1].
>
> In case you want to do some actual work, you are welcome to try to
> create a tor-browser package that would be compliant with the Debian
> policy. Upstream ticket is #3994.
>
> [1] https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2011-July/002866.html
> [2] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/3994

I'm doubtful of my current abilities to do this and get it accepted. It
has been some years since I've even checked out the debian page on how to
do it properly. From what I recall it is definitely quite extensive and
time consuming process. Ideally somebody with more of an apt for this
would take up the task. I would certainly be interested in contributing
financially to the cause. My business already contributes to a number of
free software projects and we hope to become a more significant
contributor as resources allow.