[tor-talk] Tor Browser Bundle w Linux Packaging & TAILS improvements/new distribution

Andrew Lewman andrew at torproject.org
Mon Dec 12 17:54:48 UTC 2011

On Fri, 9 Dec 2011 04:59:37 -0500
"Chris" <tmail299 at errtech.com> wrote:

> I have a number of questions and requests for possible changes to the
> Tor Browser Bundle.

Have you read the TBB design document? It may answer many more
questions, https://www.torproject.org/projects/torbrowser/design/.

> Why is the current Tor Browser Bundle for Linux not available in the
> Tor repository?

TBB for linux is not a deb nor rpm based on packaging guidelines. There
is nothing to install per se. It's a simple tarball that is extracted.
We sign every package, so the tarball is signed and can be validated.

> Tails requires users to download a new disc each time an update is
> released as well. Like the Tor Browser Bundle this too gives an
> attacker more of an opportunity to compromise a Tor user.

There's a project called thandy that will allow for partial updates of
TBB. Tails is a separate project, you should talk to them directly.
Thandy can be found at https://gitweb.torproject.org/thandy.git.

> The second thing I was wondering relates to Tails. Why does Tails
> need to be downloaded each time an update is released? If the goal is
> a read-only medium there are newer methods to make writeable media
> read-only without having to burn a new CD each time and update is
> released or reload a distribution.

Tails is a separate project, you should ask them. You may also find
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor#LiveCDUSB the other projects
helpful too.

--
Andrew