[tor-talk] How important is it that the MyFamily option be set correctly?

Pascal Pascal666 at Users.SourceForge.Net
Tue Dec 6 18:37:57 UTC 2011

When an experienced operator like Moritz who actually reads this list
and wants to configure this correctly is unable to do so, there is
definitely something wrong.

Torservers.net apparently publishes their config file.  There appear to
be a number of relays using this config file that are not associated
with each other or Torservers.net.  How would your proposal be affected
by this?

There is an open request to add an include option to the config file
that may help to mitigate this:

The current framework allows multiple operators to manage multiple
overlapping nodes without forcing every node to be in the same family.
For example, if operator A has access to nodes 1 and 2 and operator B
has access to nodes 2 and 3, then currently nodes 1 and 3 do not need to
be in the same family.  No idea if anyone actually uses it this way.

As long as a node need not and can not be in multiple families at the
same time, is there really a need for the family string to be secret?
The only reason that unidirectional associations are currently ignored
is to prevent a node from claiming that every other node is in their
family.  Does it really hurt anything if an unassociated node claims
they are in your family alone?

 From the results of the script I just posted, it appears to be much
more likely that ContactInfo will be set consistently across all nodes
in a family than MyFamily will actually be set correctly.

Rather than supplanting the existing family system, I would suggest a
secondary system be added.  A FamilyName (or similar) option be added to
the config file.  If not set, ContactInfo would automatically be used in
its place (not published as the FamilyName, but used in its place by
anyone looking for a path).  Nodes would then avoid using two relays
with the same FamilyName (or ContactInfo).  Note that a case insensitive
alphanumeric match would probably be best.  Users do not always type the
exact same thing into ContactInfo.

This way users who want their nodes associated but don't want to set
ContactInfo can do so, existing bidirectional associations continue to
work, and families automagically get created for anyone who did set
ContactInfo.

-Pascal