[tor-talk] Tor HS load balancing

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Mon Dec 5 20:56:36 UTC 2011

On Mon, Dec 05, 2011 at 09:07:25PM +0100, Fabio Pietrosanti (naif) wrote:
> it would be possible to have a Tor HS running on two or more servers?
>
> I am wondering how does the network will behave in a situation like that
>
> a) Only one server will works
> b) It will provide a sort of "load balancing"

Yes, it will (should) work. See also
http://archives.seul.org/tor/relays/Apr-2011/msg00022.html

"""
The answer if two different Tors have the same hidden service private
key is that they will each publish a hidden service descriptor. Whichever
one published more recently is the one that a user accessing the hidden
service will probably find and use.

This approach can provide a very crude load balancing. More interesting,
it can also provide a very crude failover, where if one of them
disappears, an hour or so later the other will publish and the hidden
service will become reachable again.
"""

--Roger