[tor-talk] Running tails headless ... virtualbox ...

John Case case at SDF.ORG
Sun Dec 4 21:12:11 UTC 2011

On Sun, 4 Dec 2011, coderman wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 3, 2011 at 11:28 PM, John Case <case at sdf.org> wrote:
>>
>> I have a colo'd server that I want to run tails on.
>>
>> I do not have physical access to the server, nor does the server have KVM
>> attached - just a headless box in a cabinet somewhere.
>
> use xvfb (X virtual framebuffer) as the display environment. you can
> then even run VNC or remote desktop to this display, if you want a
> tails GUI, otherwise shell in as usual.

For this application, I do not need (or want) any GUI at all, so I can
skip the framebuffer and no need to VNC in, etc.

So when you say "shell in as usual", I am not sure what you mean - there
does not appear to be an sshd, and tails boots to GUI with no choice given
to boot to console or other modes, etc.

Thanks.