[tor-talk] [liberationtech] Not another Haystack right?

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Fri Dec 2 09:07:51 UTC 2011

----- Forwarded message from Evgeny Morozov <evgeny.morozov at gmail.com> -----

From: Evgeny Morozov <evgeny.morozov at gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2011 09:44:25 -0800
To: Liberation Technologies <liberationtech at lists.stanford.edu>
Subject: Re: [liberationtech] Not another Haystack right?

Andrew: I had a good laugh reading this but I think you have misunderstood
the point of the question. Few of us on this list have any doubts about the
independence of Tor from the US government. The really interesting question
- which I think still remains unanswered - is why this has also been the
case for people who are not on this list, who don't know Tor team
personally and who would normally draw a very straight conspiratorial line
from "Project X gets funding from USG" to "Project X is used by USG for
Agenda Y".

That's an interesting sociological question that you can't just explain
away by saying "but that's because they trust us!", because it's this very
trust that needs to be explained. Besides, if we do find a good answer to
this question, it will surely help other projects (which, of course, you
may or may not be interested in).

On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 9:32 AM, <liberationtech at lewman.us> wrote:

> [...]
> https://archive.torproject.org/monthly-report-archive/ and on the blog,
> https://blog.torproject.org/category/tags/progress-report. Comically,
> I have to email it to our US Government funders because they cannot get
> to torproject.org without using Tor or violating their own IT policies.
>
> The core of the angst here is that Tor receives US Government and
> Swedish Government funding. We publish this every year. Our 990, audit
> statements, and State of Massachusetts Form PC are all published and on
> our website. The 990 is a public document by law. If you want to see
> how much funding we get, who we pay, and who pays us, feel free. It's
> all right here, https://www.torproject.org/about/financials.html.en. We
> get paid to work on research and development on a defined project and
> deliverable basis. We publish our deliverables and current work state
> at https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/sponsors.
>
> Now, let's talk about what being a US Government sub-contractor is
> like. Here's a typical day in my life (imagine Ke$ha's Tik Tok as the
> soundtrack to this exposé):
>
> I wake up in the morning and talk to Hills about the world (Hillary
> and I are on nickname basis). We talk about code. We talk about how we
> can use the C coding language to produce more freedom and democracy
> in the world. She tells me about this new library she read about on
> reddit/r/programming called libfreedom. She has her staff remind me to
> avoid buffer overflows in the libfreedom integration. I decide noon is a
> fine time to get out of bed, take a walk on the beach, and hop into my
> helicopter to fly to the palatial tor offices in a secret location. I
> could have taken the Bugatti today, but I figure it is more green to fly
> directly there.
>
> And then General Alexander calls me and gives me the run down on the
> plans for the day and asks for feedback. Keith and I have a lulzy chat
> about the Internet memes trending and then renew our bets about who can
> get on cryptome or pgpboard first today.
>
> And then Wen J from China skypes me and trolls me that they are going
> to roll out a new GFW today that is super duper good at blocking all
> encryption. Wen is doing it for the lulz.
>
> And if you believe the last four paragraphs, well, then I'm sorry
> for you.
>
> Are we done with the conspiracy theories? Or shall I talk about the secret
> moon base we're building so the grey's can have interplanetary anonymity?
>
> --
> Andrew
> pgp key: 0x74ED336B
>
> If you would like to receive a daily digest, click "yes" (once you click
> above) next to "would you like to receive list mail batched in a daily
> digest?"
>
> You will need the user name and password you receive from the list
> moderator in monthly reminders.
>
> Should you need immediate assistance, please contact the list moderator.

Should you need to change your subscription options, please go to:

----- End forwarded message -----