[tor-talk] TBB - most secure version?

Netizio netizio at t-online.de
Tue Aug 30 19:18:53 UTC 2011

Hi list members,

since the stable Tor 0.2.2.32 is available now I tried to find a Tor
version which suits my beginners needs the best. In the past I used the
Vidalia bundle, but at present the included Torbutton seems only to be
compatible with an old version of Firefox. Since Mike Perry made his
statements about probably letting torbutton fade away I got the
impression a large part of the community has doubts about using this
tool. However, my main irritation stems from the fact, that the
experimental TBB seems to include only the now outdated Tor 0.2.2.31-rc.
Am I missing the point? I always believed alphas to be the most advanved
versions out there, without "guaranteed" safety however. On
torproject.org I read the usual lines about possible security risks when
choosing alphas, but I`m pretty sure having read the opposite just
recently on this list.
Also, on the download page for the TBB alphas users are strongly advised
to upgrade to the 6.0 release of Firefox. It is my understanding now
that torbutton isn`t compatible w/ Firefox since the browsers version 4?
Accordingly, the experimental Tor browser bundles do not contain
Torbutton anymore. However, they also seem to have included neither
Polipo nor Privoxy. In the past it was the vidalia bundle which I had in
use that made me believe one of the concurrent proxys to be an essential
part of Tors technical architecture. So, in short, I´m pretty much in
confussion about the correct version of a Tor bundle to pick w/ respect
to a maximum of security and safety.
Since - at the moment - I am missing the knowledge and skills to adapt
the expert version of a single Tor and / or work out correctly how to
properly configure either Privoxy or Polipo w/ RegEx, I would be very
glad if somebody on the list would find the time to recommend me the
most secure version of Tor (browser bundle).

Thanks!

Netizio