[tor-talk] Tor Exit Node Operator Raided in USA.

David Carlson carlson.dl at sbcglobal.net
Tue Aug 30 00:27:46 UTC 2011

On 8/29/2011 6:14 PM, Martin Fick wrote:
> --- On Mon, 8/29/11, Matthew <pumpkin at cotse.net> wrote:
>> https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2011/08/why-ip-addresses-alone-dont-identify-criminals
>>

>> If you run an exit relay, consider operating it in a
>> Tor-friendly commercial facility instead of your home
>> to make it less likely that law enforcement agents will
>> show up at your door.
> Hmm, I am surprised by the EFFs advice here.
>
> It it is legal as they claim, shouldn't they be
> heralding us to run an exit node at home and not
> be intimidated by ignorant law enforcement?  And
> that they will help defend us in case of an
> issue?
>
> After all, they are recommending open wireless
> access points from individuals:
>
> http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2011/04/open-wireless-movement
>
> Strange,
>
> -Martin

As a legal taxpaying US citizen, I can attest to the fact that 'innocent
until proven guilty' is a fiction.  When the US IRS thinks that I failed
to pay income tax, and one time they did, it is guilty until I prove
that some former employer was wrong and I am, in fact, innocent.  Same
for other Federal Agencies, especially when a serious crime is
suspected.  If you are willing to risk having to prove that you are
innocent, fine, take that risk.

Many people do not want to take that risk, and they may not want to
operate an exit node that can theoretically pass-through kiddie-porn,
for example.

David Carlson