[tor-talk] virtual private servers for Tor?

Hu Man human at zagbot.com
Sat Aug 27 22:09:00 UTC 2011

On Sun, Aug 28, 2011 at 05:12, coderman <coderman at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 4:52 PM, Martin Fick <mogulguy at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Both of your preferred solutions will have much
> > higher performance overheads than any container
> > like solution (OpenVz, Vserver, lxc...).
>
> concurrent number of open sockets. ip stack tuning parameters. other
> technical constraints that make networking on these "light overhead"
> container systems unworkable. the very design trade offs they make to
> support larger numbers of contains per host directly reduce the
> networking performance and capacity of any singular container/vm.
>
> you must have at least X resources to participate in the Tor network
> as a router.  these crippled systems don't cut it.

In the past I have run a tor relay that was pushing about 60Mb/sec 24x7. It
was running in an OpenVZ container and it had no problems. It was running in
a container on my own dedicated server and not a VPS from a hosting company.

In summary if I may clarify for anyone finding this thread by a search -
OpenVZ, and I guess other container technologies, will run tor relays just
fine BUT restrictions placed on the VPS by a hosting company may cause
problems.

Regards,
Zagbot.