[tor-talk] Tor Bridges No Longer Work

andrew at torproject.org andrew at torproject.org
Fri Aug 26 02:32:54 UTC 2011

On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 06:34:49PM -0700, jw at securenym.net wrote 1.2K bytes in 29 lines about:
: My bridges are completely updated.
:
: That I would receive an error stating "No known working bridges found"
: (my wording)
: puzzled me. To this day, I am unable to connect using bridges at all.
: Nothing has changed on my box so I'm at a total loss to explain this.

it states your bridges are not working. The simplest test is to open up
telnet to the IP:port combination and see if you successfully open a tcp
socket. if not, the bridge isn't valid.

: Recently, someone posted a question to the effect that how does a user
: know which bridges are active and which are not?

Right now, you don't know as a user. Tor tries the bridges and if they
fail, puts it on a counter to try again later. Vidalia, the graphical
interface you see, has no way to show working vs. non-working bridges. I
believe there is a ticket open about this somewhere in trac, but I
cannot find it right now.

--
Andrew
pgp key: 0x74ED336B