[tor-talk] Vidalia bundle DNS question

Andrew Lewman andrew at torproject.org
Thu Aug 18 02:49:27 UTC 2011

On Wednesday, August 17, 2011 11:56:21 David H. Lipman wrote:
> How can I best make sure Tor/Polipo use my OS provided DNS servers or
> specifically provided DNS server(s) to be used when performing a Proxy ?

You can't.  DNS queries will go through Tor. If you query your local DNS
servers, your dns provider learns every domain you wish to visit. Even if they
don't see your traffic because it travels through tor, your dns lookups will
give away what you are doing, when, and how often.

--
Andrew
pgp 0x74ED336B