[tor-talk] Any problem installing TBB & Vidalia bundle on same machine?

Joe Btfsplk joebtfsplk at gmx.com
Mon Aug 15 13:37:25 UTC 2011

On 8/14/2011 7:47 PM, Justin Aplin wrote:
>> something like an option / preference "don't close TBB when Firefox closes" sounds like a solution.  Technically, it'd be "don't close Tor / Vidalia" wouldn't it, because "TBB" includes Tor?
>> Firefox in TBB is dependent on Tor, but Tor (in TBB) doesn't necessarily have to be dependent on Firefox running.
>>
>> Installing both,&  running one, shutting it down, starting the other is doable, but kinda pain.
> Alternatively, as a hackish fix, you could modify your "permanent" installation to bind to ports that won't conflict with TBB. Off the top of my head, I think you'd want to pick non-default values for ControlPort and SocksPort in your torrc (with matching values in Vidalia), as well as a non-default value for proxyPort in Polipo's config file, and changing socksParentProxy (also in Polipo's config file) to point to the new value you've given to torrc's SocksPort.
>
> I don't have TorButton to fenangle with on this computer, but I'm sure somewhere in its options or in about:config you can change the port it looks for Polipo on, or plug it directly into Tor's socks port if you're not using Polipo.
>
> The ultimate goal here is to have your "permanent" installation of Tor/Vidalia/Polipo/Firefox/Torbutton use a completely different set of ports than TBB. Like I said, hackish, but the result should be worth it if you use both often.
>
> ~Justin Aplin
Thanks JA, that seems a possible work around (hopefully needed only
temporarily - until TBB options are added).

Maybe I misunderstand, but aren't THE ports Tor uses for HTTP / SSL =
8118 and SOCKS= 9050.  So when you  say "Use a completely diff. set of
ports than TBB," please elaborate for me & others.