[tor-talk] Any problem installing TBB & Vidalia bundle on same machine?

Joe Btfsplk joebtfsplk at gmx.com
Mon Aug 15 00:07:17 UTC 2011

On 8/14/2011 12:30 AM, Roger Dingledine wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 13, 2011 at 05:34:08PM -0500, Joe Btfsplk wrote:
>>    But, still like to know if can
>> install both vidalia bundle&  Tor browser bundle at same time (even if
>> not running at same time).
> Installing both at once is no problem -- TBB doesn't require any
> "install", so there's nothing to conflict.
>
> But running both at once won't work currently: the Tor in each of them
> tries to bind to the same ports, so the first one to run will win and
> the second one to run will lose.
>
> We're actually trying to fix that so they can be run together though.
> Keep an eye on upcoming TBB announcements.
>
>> Like you, I might have other apps I want to run thru Tor, but don't
>> necessarily want Tor browser open.
> I agree. I wonder if we should come up with some option in the TBB
> Vidalia 'advanced' window, along the lines of "don't close TBB when
> Firefox closes".
>
> Vidalia is working on a plugin approach, so for example that checkbox
> might become an option in the "TBB panel" in Vidalia.
>
> --Roger
something like an option / preference "don't close TBB when Firefox
closes" sounds like a solution.  Technically, it'd be "don't close Tor /
Vidalia" wouldn't it, because "TBB" includes Tor?
Firefox in TBB is dependent on Tor, but Tor (in TBB) doesn't necessarily
have to be dependent on Firefox running.

Installing both, & running one, shutting it down, starting the other is
doable, but kinda pain.