[tor-talk] New Tool Keeps Censors in the Dark - mentions Tor.

Joe Btfsplk joebtfsplk at gmx.com
Tue Aug 9 17:08:39 UTC 2011

On 8/9/2011 3:18 AM, Zaher F. wrote:
> after reading all ur conversation...
>
> for me i didnt understand a very important thing :
> how come a software or tools as Telex and is not anonymity??????
> because the most of blocked sites by the governments are restricted
> also and censored...
>
> so  i dont think a software like Telex can work against these
> governments cause no body is ready to loose his freedom....
>
> thx

Zaher, the purpose of Tor (& Telex's model) IS primarily anonymity.  And
in opinion of many, anonymity implies privacy.
One issue is Tor or any other anonymity software isn't 100% foolproof.

Yes, many sites are censored by nations.  The purpose of software like
Tor & presumably Telex are to keep ISPs (thus gov'ts) from knowing which
sites your visiting.  The draw back to that, is some nations have banned
accessing Tor nodes.  Whether Telex get off the ground or not, as I
mentioned earlier, their concept is (* as I understand *), a censoring
nation / ISP would think users were accessing "acceptable" sites (vs
accessing a Tor node), & Telex would divert users traffic from the
destination (that the ISP sees / logs), after it leaves the ISP to
users' real destinations.  The ISP has no idea the traffic was diverted
by Telex, or that Telex was involved at all - as I understand.

Thus, making ISPs (& gov'ts) THINK users' are going to acceptable
sites.  This is diff than ISPs logging that users are connecting to Tor
nodes (if they can), which some nations see as trying to circumvent
their censorship.  Whether ISPs would eventually be able to detect
traffic is using Telex software is another matter.  I'm not any sort of
expert on Telex or Tor.