[tor-talk] Reason Firefox version in TBB is so far behind?

Joe Btfsplk joebtfsplk at gmx.com
Tue Aug 9 15:39:52 UTC 2011

On 2011-08-05, Joe Btfsplk<joebtfsplk at gmx.com>  wrote:

>> As said, it may be unavoidable (currently) for TBB developers to
>> integrate new FF versions quickly, but surely I'm not the 1st to wonder
>> about security issues of using old browser versions.
>> The testing bundles Andrew mentioned are fine for, well... testing, but
>> not for general users.  It's a long way&  many fixes, from Firefox 3.6
>> to 5.0 / 5.0.1.
> There are some bugfixes in Firefox 5.0.1 that aren't in Firefox 3.6.19
> -- notably, Mozilla finally applied our patch to fix Firefox's
> hard-coded timeout when using a SOCKS proxy, so Firefox 5.0 and 5.0.1
> no longer require an HTTP proxy such as Polipo between the browser and
> Tor -- but the main difference between Firefox 3.6.x and Firefox 5.0.x
> is that Firefox 5.0.x contains many new features.  And those features
> introduced a crapload of bugs which have security implications for Tor
> users -- mainly WebGL security bugs, but there were a few nasty
> surprises in the new JavaScript interpreter (see
> https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/2819 ,
> https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/2873 , and
> https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/2874 ).  There were
> plenty of other changes to audit as well; look through Tor's bug
> tracker if you're interested.
>

> Robert Ransom
Thanks for the detailed explanation & links to the trac tickets.   It
sounds like what I suspected - new versions create new security issues
for Tor, which take time to deal with.  Unfortunate, but...
  Re:  Firefox 5.0 - unsafe:   I was under impression the 5.0.1 update
was for Mac (possibly Linux) - yes?  I don't get any avail updates, when
checking manually from my Windows FF 5.0 installation.  I read somewhere
* Windows * users don't need the 5.0.1 update (though 5.0.1 is what they
get if d/l the entire package vs updating)??

Have another question then about 2 instances of Tor - which I'll ask in
another post.