[tor-talk] New Tool Keeps Censors in the Dark - mentions Tor.

Joe Btfsplk joebtfsplk at gmx.com
Sun Aug 7 16:48:47 UTC 2011

On 8/6/2011 10:56 AM, Jimmy Richardson wrote:
> This won't work well seeing Google is already kicked out of China.
Exactly.
> You lost me at "If google were to..."  Google & privacy is the
> definition of an oxymoron.  They're way down the list of organizations
> many users would want having any role in some anonymity endeavor.
>

> This is not about privacy, it's about anti-censorship, and Google is a
> good resource in terms of anti-censorship.
How so - other than not wanting their corporation to be censored?  Do
they have a record of refusing to give data to gov'ts?

Privacy, anonymity & anti-censorship seem interrelated.  Anonymity
implies privacy.  Google is in business to make money, not promote
anti-censorship or free speech.  Censoring them cuts into their
earnings, so yes, they are against censorship - * involving their
corporation. *  IMO, if I lived in a country where my life or possible
imprisonment depended on internet anonymity / security, I wouldn't trust
Google to keep me safe.  I'm quite sure other entities eventually could
provide some service / method to access banned sites, w/o $ being the
main objective.

Forget Telex or Tor for the moment.  Eventually, individuals or groups
have always found an "underground" way around censorship (if they wanted
to) during wars, etc., sans the internet.  The answer to avoid
censorship may not involve the internet at all.  Ultimately, passing or
accessing censored or what gov'ts consider subversive info * through any
ISP,* that keeps records & is legally bound to cooperate w/ govt's
doesn't seem like the best idea.  I wouldn't go to the NSA's office to
have a secret phone conversation.  Just my opinion.