[tor-talk] Hijacking Advertising to give a Tor Exit node economic sustainability?

Javier Bassi javierbassi at gmail.com
Sun Aug 7 04:25:23 UTC 2011

On Sun, Aug 7, 2011 at 12:06 AM, Dave Jevans  wrote:
> AnchorFree is doing Multi-millions of dollars of business doing targeted ads
> on a "free" proxy/vpn service. I don't see why this couldn't be done with
> Tor.

Didn't know about AnchorFree. I don't know how can the advertisers
distinguish between impressions/clicks from different users if they
have the same IP. They have to trust that they are not one AnchorFree
employee refreshing the page with a script that changes the user
agent.

In our case, it would be difficult for Tor to build that trust because
it will depend on each exit node.
Quick question: can middle nodes modify traffic? If thats the case we
have a bigger problem.