[tor-talk] Hijacking Advertising to give a Tor Exit node economic sustainability?

Collin Anderson collin at averysmallbird.com
Sun Aug 7 02:08:56 UTC 2011

For whatever it's worth, this seems to be a common model for a number of
free VPN and Glype-style Web-based providers, who cater to clients
attempting to get around content filtering. I've been interested in the
mechanics and economics of the approach, but haven't yet had time to do any
investigation.

*CDA*

On Sat, Aug 6, 2011 at 5:14 PM, Jim <jimmymac at copper.net> wrote:

> Fabio Pietrosanti (naif) wrote:
> > Ok, modifying user traffic it's a tabu', but let's just consider for a
> > moment how many useful things for the user and for the tor project could
> > be done.
>
> Perhaps the user doesn't *want* those "useful" things done for him.
> Perhaps he knows what he is doing and is already doing *exactly* what he
> wants to do.  Very slippery slope!
>
> (Not that I think there is a remote chance that such an exit node would
> not be marked as a bad exit just on general principles.  I just wanted
> to point out that I find this "nanny state" attitude of "we know better
> than you" offensive.  It's bad enough when ISPs break NXDOMAIN, etc.
> Although I doubt that you meant any harm.  :-)
>
> Jim

*Collin David Anderson*
averysmallbird.com | @cda | Washington, D.C.