[tor-talk] Reason Firefox version in TBB is so far behind?

Joe Btfsplk joebtfsplk at gmx.com
Wed Aug 3 00:41:40 UTC 2011

On 8/2/2011 7:10 PM, Andrew Lewman wrote:
> On Tuesday, August 02, 2011 19:55:48 Joe Btfsplk wrote:
>> Are there specific reasons for not using latest (or late-er) Firefox
>> versions in Tor Browser Bundle?  Is it primarily because the latest
>> version doesn't always work w/ Tor&  fixes must be developed for Tor to
>> deal w/ that?
> It's the latest udpated Firefox 3.6 branch.  FF4 branch has been killed and
> replaced with 5.  We have FF5 testing bundles. See
> https://blog.torproject.org/blog/new-tor-browser-bundles-3.
Thanks.  I realize the latest stable TBB has FF 3.6.  Is the reason for
delay in updating to latest FF version always for testing - to see if
Tor works properly?
Firefox versions used in stable TBB have always run behind the latest FF
release - sometimes several versions.  This may well be unavoidable for
TBB developers.  My original question - how does this affect the
security of TBB users?