[tor-talk] No BetterPrivacy for Tor?

Joe Btfsplk joebtfsplk at gmx.com
Tue Aug 2 23:45:38 UTC 2011

On 8/2/2011 6:54 AM, M Robinson wrote:
> Hello,
>
>          I updated Tor and was adding few addons, out of habit I went to
> the BetterPrivacy add-on page and got this message
>
>> This add-on has been removed by its author
> so tried again
>
>> We're sorry, but we can't find what you're looking for.
>>
>> The page or file you requested wasn't found on our site. It's possible that you clicked a link that's out of date, or typed in the address incorrectly.
> So, is this a Tor thing or is Mozilla selectively blocking add-ons by
> country of origin? If I don't use Tor this add-on is available.

When you say, "out of habit I went to the BetterPrivacy add-on page...",
did you mean the AMO site, or developer's home page,  http://netticat.ath.cx

Well, as I read your post I saw there was an update for BetterPrivacy
avail.  Curious, I looked at the AMO site - I didn't get any msg nor
found the Better Privacy addon.  So, found these couple of non
definitive blurbs on developer's forum:
> For safety and update-reliability it is always recommended to install
> any software directly from the developer sites. Especially on AMO this
> is no longer granted since the site started to modify the original
> add-on compatibility information based on automatic scans - though
> they admitted that those scans might be unreliable when it comes to
> GUI
> <http://blog.mozilla.com/addons/2011/04/19/add-on-compatibility-rapid-releases/>.
> Therefore I'm even considering to completely remove my add-ons from
> there.
Also, a user posted question like yours on developer's forum today - but
no response yet:
http://netticat.ath.cx/forum/viewtopic.php?id=485