[tor-talk] Better Privacy for Tor Node Operators

tagnaq tagnaq at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 12:24:00 UTC 2011

On 04/25/2011 01:06 PM, Andrew Lewman wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Apr 2011 10:26:29 +0200
> tagnaq <tagnaq at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I don't think that the Tor Project expects that every Tor node
>> operator routes his entire traffic through Tor to avoid this issue
>> (this is not even recommended or possible).
>
> https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/TheOnionRouter/TorFAQ#DoIgetbetteranonymityifIrunarelay
>
> Yes, I encourage everyone who runs a relay at home to use Tor for all
> of their traffic.

So you are basically saying to Tor node operators running nodes at home:
Route *all* your traffic into Tor *regardless* of its content,
or dare using the Internet without Tor and handle the privacy effect
that running a Tor relay has on you yourself?

If that is the case then I'm astonished.
I guess you and Roger have different opinions on what to send over Tor
and what not [1].

Furthermore:
[2] Do you disagree that rekeying ones in a while + a common node
descriptor would make it harder to link tor nodes to there past IP
addresses and reduce the privacy impact of running a Tor node at home?

best regards,
tagnaq

[1] https://blog.torproject.org/blog/bittorrent-over-tor-isnt-good-idea
[2] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/2980#comment:2