[tor-talk] To Toggle, or not to Toggle: The End of Torbutton

Joe Btfsplk joebtfsplk at gmx.com
Fri Apr 22 16:19:47 UTC 2011

On 4/22/2011 9:53 AM, The Doctor wrote:
>> Why would you want to run several instances of Firefox -
>> SIMULTANEOUSLY?  When I said it was easy to install multiple versions,
> So the user could have a 'mundane' browser for day to day stuff and a
> Torified browser so that they could browse parts of the web with a
> degree of anonymity and privacy.
The operative word for * low resource * machines is "Simultaneously," as
in 2 or more apps running at the same time (any, not just Firefox).  Not
whether 2 instances (same version or not) CAN be installed.  I was
mainly aiming at low resource machines, how to use diff Firefox versions
or diff profiles w/ diff configurations (but only *running* one at a time).
> With sufficient system resources, this is entirely possible - I do it.
> I have two Firefox profiles set up on my machine with slightly different
> configuration settings and different sets of add-ons.
Of course it's possible - that's what I said.  I run 2 diff versions
(sometimes at once) - but it's a new machine.  Yes, if one has
sufficient system resources, can run multiple instances simultaneously.
For older machine, users will either have to use one Firefox instance at
a time, or find & stop enough non essential prgms from auto starting w/
the OS (good idea, anyway).  That still may not free up enough resources
to run 2 Firefoxes at once.  Still a good idea & often speeds up older
systems considerably.

There are lots of detailed articles on how to create & use multiple
profiles, & how to install / use multiple instances of Firefox.  Can
find them in Mozillazine forum, in Mozilla knowledge base and 3rd party
articles.