[tor-talk] To Toggle, or not to Toggle: The End of Torbutton

Joe Btfsplk joebtfsplk at gmx.com
Tue Apr 12 14:10:23 UTC 2011

On 4/11/2011 11:11 PM, Jim wrote:
> Mike Perry wrote:
>> I think we should completely
>> do away with the toggle model, as well as the entire idea of Torbutton
>> as a separate piece of user-facing software, and rely solely on the
>> Tor Browser Bundles, except perhaps with the addition of standalone
>> Tor+Vidalia binaries for use by experts and relay operators.
>>
>>  [Snip]
>>
>> So can anyone bring up any specific issues that may be caused by the
>> change?
>>
>> We are collecting these issues as child tickets of this bug:
>> https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/2880
>>
>> As an aside, we also are collecting a similar set of issues for the
>> removal of an HTTP proxy entirely from the tor distribution:
>> https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/2844
Have no particular problem w/ doing away w/ Torbutton - per se.  Two
thoughts.

Avg &  users will have to be educated in an * easily understandable *
way why they must install a 2nd instance of Firefox (browser bundle).

Have noticed the current & past Tor browser bundles are a Firefox ver or
2 behind the most current release from Mozilla.  How does / will that
affect safety of Tor browser bundle users, in case of serious security
updates in latest FX vers, which haven't been incorporated into latest Tor?