[tor-talk] To Toggle, or not to Toggle: The End of Torbutton

Mike Perry mikeperry at fscked.org
Tue Apr 12 06:26:03 UTC 2011

Thus spake Jim (Jimmymac at copper.net):

> Mike Perry wrote:
> >So can anyone bring up any specific issues that may be caused by the
> >change?
> >
> >We are collecting these issues as child tickets of this bug:
> >https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/2880
> >
> >As an aside, we also are collecting a similar set of issues for the
> >removal of an HTTP proxy entirely from the tor distribution:
> >https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/2844
>
> My normal use case is to run Tor on a computer different from the
> computer which is running the browser.  I then use ssh to either tunnel
> the HTTP proxy connection to an instance of Privoxy running on the same
> computer that is running Tor or I tunnel the output from Privoxy on the
> computer running the browser to port 9050 on the computer running Tor.
> (I use both methods depending on which computer I am browsing from.)  I
> have not yet figured out how your proposal effects these use cases.
>
> Should I decide to add entries to the tracker, does one have to register
> to do so?

Hrm, your use case would be "Download the TBB, and then configure it
manually to use an alternate proxy." You'd still be downloading (and
running) and extra Tor and Vidalia instance, but we're hoping to make
that seamless:

Otherwise, you'd fall in this boat:

But we're really hoping not to have to build a standalone Tor Browser
outside of the Tor Browser Bundle, because it adds an entire column to
the matrix of builds we'd need to do.

--
Mike Perry
Mad Computer Scientist