[tor-talk] To Toggle, or not to Toggle: The End of Torbutton

Jim Jimmymac at copper.net
Tue Apr 12 04:11:32 UTC 2011

Mike Perry wrote:
> I think we should completely
> do away with the toggle model, as well as the entire idea of Torbutton
> as a separate piece of user-facing software, and rely solely on the
> Tor Browser Bundles, except perhaps with the addition of standalone
> Tor+Vidalia binaries for use by experts and relay operators.
>
>  [Snip]
>
> So can anyone bring up any specific issues that may be caused by the
> change?
>
> We are collecting these issues as child tickets of this bug:
>
> As an aside, we also are collecting a similar set of issues for the
> removal of an HTTP proxy entirely from the tor distribution:

My normal use case is to run Tor on a computer different from the
computer which is running the browser.  I then use ssh to either tunnel
the HTTP proxy connection to an instance of Privoxy running on the same
computer that is running Tor or I tunnel the output from Privoxy on the
computer running the browser to port 9050 on the computer running Tor.
(I use both methods depending on which computer I am browsing from.)  I
have not yet figured out how your proposal effects these use cases.

Should I decide to add entries to the tracker, does one have to register
to do so?

Jim