[tor-talk] Announce: Tails 0.7 is out

intrigeri intrigeri at boum.org
Sat Apr 9 07:48:00 UTC 2011

Hi,

Tails, aka. The Amnesic Incognito Live System, version 0.7, is out.

,----
| What is it?
`----

Tails is a Live system aimed at preserving your privacy and anonymity:

- all outgoing connections to the Internet are forced to go through
  the Tor network;
- no trace is left on local storage devices unless explicitly asked.

More? -> https://tails.boum.org/

,----
| Get it, try it, share it!
`----

Try it! [1] Any comments are most welcome. Please note you'll need to
install the CACert root certificate [2] into your web browser before
connecting to our web site... unless you use Debian or one of its
derivatives.

[1] https://tails.boum.org/download/
[2] http://www.cacert.org/

,----
| What's new?
`----

Notable changes include:

* Built on top of Debian Squeeze.

* Tor 0.2.1.30

* Protecting against memory recovery: new, safer way to wipe memory on
  shutdown which is now also used when the boot media is physically
  removed.

* Hardware support
 - printers: install more printer drivers, allow the default user to
   manage more kinds of printers
 - 3G: support mobile broadband devices such as 3G USB dongles
 - wireless: install Atheros and Broadcom firmwares
 - scanner and multi-function peripherals: better support

* Iceweasel
 - install the HTTPS Everywhere extension
 - many Anonymity Set preservation enhancements, mostly inspired by
   the Tor Browser Bundle configuration
 - support FTP, thanks to FoxyProxy

* Other software
 - user-friendly encryption support: install gnome-disk-utility
   (Palimpsest) and Seahorse plugins
 - add opt-in i2p support with Iceweasel integration through FoxyProxy
 - optionally install TrueCrypt at boot time to allow users of the
   (old and now unsupported) *Incognito* live system to access the
   data on previously created media; this is *not* meant to be used to
   create new TrueCrypt media
 - make better use of battery-powered hardware
 - replace xsane with simple-scan which is part of GNOME and way
   easier to use
 - install scribus-ng instead of scribus: more features, less bugs

* Firewall
 - drop incoming packets by default
 - forbid queries to DNS resolvers on the LAN
 - set output policy to drop (defense-in-depth)

* Miscellaneous
 - fromiso= bugfixes
 - configure keyboard layout accordingly to the chosen language for
   Italian and Portuguese
 - more robust HTP time synchronization wrt. network failures;
   display the logs when the clock synchronization fails
 - disable automatic media mounting and opening to protect against
   a class of attacks that was recently put under the spotlights
 - GnuPG: default to stronger digest algorithms

Plus the usual bunch of minor bug reports and improvements.

See the online Changelog [3] for technical details.

[3] http://git.immerda.ch/?p=amnesia.git;a=blob_plain;f=debian/changelog;hb=refs/tags/0.7

,----
| Can I use it on a pre-Intel Mac computer?
`----

Tails images with *i386* in their name work on the Intel x86
architecture only. However, we've been working towards releasing a
Tails image suitable for the pre-Intel Macs hardware (PowerPC
architecture). Stay tuned, it will be prepared and made available
soonish.

,----
| A glimpse towards the future
`----

Were do we go from here? Have a look to our roadmap [4] to see where
we are heading to.

Would you want to help? As explained in our brand new "how to
contribute" documentation [5], here are many ways **you** can
contribute to Tails: no need to be a hardcore developer.

[4] https://tails.boum.org/contribute/roadmap/
[5] https://tails.boum.org/contribute/

Bye,
--