[tor-talk] Google disable web-access to gmail for Tor-users?

Aaron aagbsn at extc.org
Thu Apr 7 02:48:42 UTC 2011

On Apr 6, 2011 4:42 PM, "grarpamp" <grarpamp at gmail.com> wrote:

> > I do think it's ridiculous to need a phone to get a webmail
> > account.
>
> I just don't like their apparent stance requiring SMS/voice auth.
>
> > What I don't understand is hating on Google but still wanting to
> > use their webmail service.
>
> As mentioned earlier, it's a perception thing. And of course all
> the other cool Google services that come with an account, and
> third-party online tie-ins. And they're one of few that do not put
> the source IP/FQDN in the headers... which sometimes makes for more
> reliable mail delivery and better perception as well.
>

> > 1. Install the android sdk/emulator and create an avd.
> > I tested with API 8 (android 2.2)
>
> ditto + openjdk6 + ia32-libs on Ubuntu 10.10 amd64 updated
>
> > + google apis
>
> Not sure what you mean by this.
when you create your avd there is a list of api versions. if you do not see
listings that include '+ google apis' you may need to download those - see
'available packages' and make sure you check at least one of 'Google APIs by
Google Inc. Android API ...'

I used version 8.

This should add the option to create a google account.

> > 2. launch the emulator: emulator -http-proxy http://127.0.0.1:8118 @avb
> > 3. verify tor is working via http://check.torproject.org
>
> Done, but skipped the proxy for now, because if it doesn't work via
> clearnet, it won't work via tor.
>
> Note the emulator is really slow.

yes, it sucks. sorry.

And I've no idea how to enlarge
> the screen so you don't have to scroll around so much?

when you create an avd you have the option of specifying a custom screen
resolution