[tor-talk] Google disable web-access to gmail for Tor-users?

Matthew pumpkin at cotse.net
Sat Apr 2 17:11:05 UTC 2011

On 02/04/11 14:04, James Brown wrote:
> I run Icedove 3.5.16 on Debian Squeeze (under a transparently-torified
> linux user), Tor v0.2.1.30, TB 1.2.5.
>
> When I try to log into my gmail accounts I have the next message:
>>   We've detected a problem with your cookie settings.
>>
>> Enable cookies
>> Make sure your cookies are enabled. To enable cookies, follow these browser-specific instructions.
>>
>> Clear cache and cookies
>> If you have cookies enabled but are still having trouble, clear your browser's cache and cookies.
>>
>> Adjust your privacy settings
>> If clearing your cache and cookies doesn't resolve the problem, try adjusting your browser's privacy settings. If your settings are on high, manually add www.google.com to your list of allowed sites. Learn more
>>
> I have enabled cookies, because it I try to clear my browser's cache and
> cookies but I have the same result.
> The next, I go to the page "Changing privacy settings" and I read the
> bellow:
>>   you have your browser's privacy settings set to 'High' you may be unable to access Google Accounts. To resolve this problem, please add www.google.com to your browser's list of allowed sites.
>>
>> To add allowed sites in Microsoft Internet Explorer (IE):
>>
>>     1. Go to the Tools menu and select Internet Options.
>>     2. Click the Privacy tab.
>>     3. Click the Sites... button and type www.google.com in the 'Address of Web site' section.
>>     4. Click Allow.
>>     5. Click OK.
>>
>> To add allowed sites in Mozilla Firefox:
>>
>>     1. Go to the Tools menu and select Options.
>>     2. Click the Privacy tab.
>>     3. Click Exceptions and type www.google.com in the 'Address of web site' section.
>>     4. Click Allow.
>>     5. Click OK.
>>
>> If you're accessing Google Accounts from behind a firewall, proxy, or anti-virus program, temporarily disable the program and try signing in to Google Accounts. If disabling the program resolves the issue you're experiencing, then most likely the software is causing the problem.
>>
>> We suggest consulting the program's online support center to find out why it might be interfering with your ability to access your Google Account.
>>
>> Note: if you're using a work computer, the problem may be related to your computer's corporate security settings. We suggest checking with your system administrator.
The pasted message below is from 13 February 2011 and should solve the
cookie problem:

I am wondering if you are using Torbutton and, if so, whether you are using
1.3.2pre-alpha3?

With extensions.torbutton.xfer_google_cookies as true and with the xpi
downloaded (see below) I no longer received the error you have quoted.

Can you please try the .xpi from this bug:
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/2377#comment:3  and let
me know if it behaves ok for Google logins now? It may need a few
tries, iirc, this bug is random.

Be sure to go back in toabout:config  and reset
extensions.torbutton.xfer_google_cookies back to*true*  before running
your tests.