[tor-talk] Why the US Government funds circumvention projects (Like Tor)

zzretro999 at email2me.net zzretro999 at email2me.net
Sat Apr 2 06:02:35 UTC 2011

-----Original Message-----
From: Joe Btfsplk <joebtfsplk at gmx.com>
To: tor-talk at lists.torproject.org
Sent: Wed, Mar 30, 2011 6:52 am
Subject: Re: [tor-talk] Why the US Government funds circumvention projects (Like Tor)

<CLindsey at GarudaLLC.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I light of the recent discussions regarding governments funding projects
>> like Tor, I thought this article might be of interest.
>>

>> U.S. develops "panic button" for democracy activists
>>

>> Full article:
>> http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/03/25/us-rights-usa-technology-idUSTRE7206DH20110325
>>
> Now at
> http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN2527265620110325

That's great. At the same time many govts allow mobile providers to track users, even by longitude / latitude. http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/NY-Times-Realizes-Wireless-Carriers-Track-You-113416
If mobile providers have the technology or are allowed to, so can govts.

I sleep better at night just knowing (any) govt has its (& other countries') citizens' best interests at heart. (little sarcasm). A govt's word is as good as gold - they've never lied (from beginning of recorded history), have they?

I am a little concerned though, about the US violating the constitution in numerous ways to spy on citizens in numerous ways. (remember the congressional hearings on telephone & internet?) If you want to know what (any) govt's up to, have to go elsewhere & dig deep for news & insight, not depend on info from the govt(s), nightly news or newspapers. Don't ask the fox guarding the hen house how things are. Something is only a conspiracy theory when no facts, evidence (or sometimes even common sense about it) exist.

don't know if anyone remembers about, oh, I don't know, about 1-3? years ago the U.S. government and U.S. military admitted that the U.S. military had been used to spy domestically on U.S. citizens. That, is specifically prohibited by Federal law, law the Feds break. They, your government, should never be trusted, ever.

It is time to disband the gangs of the government and all American institutions that are broke (they can't be fixed), that don't solve problems (none of them do) and stop using the same ole, broken, impractical and unusable tools we have or have been given or allowed to use, that to this very day, have not, do not and will not fix the problems WE, the people have.

Yet that is the box most willingly stay in, think in, believe in and speak in.

If it doesn't solve the problems we need solved, then it is irrelevant to our lives and needs to be discarded with something that works, in its place. That is usually, people: us/US
Things are always left to us/US to take care of and WE do, so take a look around you and be honest to yourself.

Sorry for the rant but that's all there seems to be. No action being taken in other words, or are 'ya gonna vote! That doesn't work and hasn't for a long time.

tor-talk mailing list
tor-talk at lists.torproject.org