connect Vidalia to a running tor instance [solved]

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Mon Sep 13 10:38:32 UTC 2010

On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 12:00:48PM +0200, tor_ml wrote:
> On 09/13/2010 12:55 AM, andrew at torproject.org wrote:
>> On Sun, Sep 12, 2010 at 05:19:00PM +0200, tor_ml at ymail.com wrote 0.4K bytes in 12 lines about:
>>> solved:
>>> It is irritating but one has to tick:
>>> "Start the Tor software when Vidalia starts"
>>>
>>> even if Vidalia just connects to a already running tor instance and
>>> doesn't start tor.
>>
>> this doesn't sound correct.   with a shared cookie or hashed passphrase,
>> does your vidalia not connect to the existing tor on start?
>
> I can confirm that vidalia does not connect to tor (via controlport) if
> "Start the Tor software when Vidalia starts"
> is not activated and I do not click the "Start Tor" button manually.
> Simply providing the password does not result in a connection to the
> controlport. (vidalia v0.2.9)

Correct. "Start Tor" is perhaps not the best name for what it actually
does, which is "try to connect to a running Tor, and if so try to
authenticate to it. If there is no running Tor (or more precisely, if
nothing is listening on the control port that Vidalia is configured to
look on), start one."

--Roger