tor and resolv.conf / ipv6

Udo van den Heuvel udovdh at xs4all.nl
Sun Sep 5 15:36:30 UTC 2010

On 2010-09-02 19:51, Roger Dingledine wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 02, 2010 at 05:34:53PM +0200, Udo van den Heuvel wrote:
>> Tor chokes and stops when it finds ipv6 numbers in resolv.conf.
>> Is this a known issue?
>>
>> I found out about this as the Fedora dhclient-script (part of ISC
>> dhcp-4.2.0) wipes out resolv.conf and replaces it with whatever the
>> dhclient receives.
>>
>> Please discuss if this is reasonable behaviour (by tor) and/or hwo we
>> could work around this.
>
> This really should only affect exit relays, right?

Nope.
No exit here.
Still it dies.

> I wonder how common Udo's situation is.

Not everyone has ipv6 yet.
Also the implementation might differ from place to place.
My experience was first with the wide-dhcp (no script, just simple
hacks), now it is isc dhclient as it is distributed with Fedora.
Need to patch dhclient to work with ppp (!) and to patch dhclient-script
to make it work with prefix delegation.
So if we don't use ppp but still use isc dhclient we might see this
issue in more places as dhclient-script fills resolv.conf with the input
from the dhcp-server(s).

So yes, the problem is possible but not too often...

Udo