AdvTor

Anon Mus my.green.lantern at googlemail.com
Sat Oct 9 15:08:08 UTC 2010

Fabian Keil wrote:
> If you are using a Privoxy version more recent than 3.0.9
> (released in 2008), you can use SOCKS5 which will allow Tor
> to provide Privoxy with a more detailed problem description.

My mistake, I assume that means that v3.0.16 does indeed do this DNS
reporting.

> With a more recent version I get:
>
> | fk at r500 ~ $lynx --dump http://www.cobblers.za/
> |    503
> |
> |        This is [1]Privoxy 3.0.17 on Privoxy-Jail.local (10.0.0.1), port 8118,
> |        enabled
> |
> |    Warning:
> |
> |       This Privoxy version is based on UNRELEASED code and not intended for
> |       production systems!
> |       Use at your own risk. See the [2]license for details.
> |
> |    Forwarding failure
> |
> |       Privoxy was unable to socks5-forward your request
> |       [3]http://www.cobblers.za/ through tor-jail: SOCKS5 host unreachable
> |
> |    Just [4]try again to see if this is a temporary problem, or check your
> |    [5]forwarding settings and make sure that all forwarding servers are
> |    working correctly and listening where they are supposed to be
> |    listening.
> [...]
>
> And Tor says:
> Oct 09 14:00:19.571 [notice] Have tried resolving or connecting to address 'www.cobblers.za' at 3 different places. Giving up.
>
> Fabian

After reading what you say about this retrying, I assume that the long
waits I got while it re-tried other circuits does mean that it was DNS
resolution failure and not refusal to serve/connect to a page that we
are dealing with here.