DNS issue: Tor works great but VPNs do not - why?

Christian Fromme kaner at strace.org
Tue Oct 5 12:08:42 UTC 2010

Hi,

On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 1:44 PM, Matthew <pumpkin at cotse.net> wrote:
> I am on a University network.  I do not have control of my DNS settings.
> When I use OpenDNS, for example, I cannot get any connection.  This is
> understandable.

For more information about DNS and Tor, see [0] and [1]. But are you
really sure its a DNS issue? Without further information I'd say that
one obvious answer would be that your University firewall simply
blocks the VPN ports (UDP 1194 for instance), but allows https-like
traffic on port 443.

Best,
/C

[0] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/TheOnionRouter/TorFAQ#IkeepseeingthesewarningsaboutSOCKSandDNSandinformationleaks.ShouldIworry