Hints and Tips for Whistleblowers - their comments on Tor and SSL - I don't understand.

Joe Btfsplk joebtfsplk at gmx.com
Thu Oct 28 14:39:11 UTC 2010

On 10/28/2010 1:11 AM, Matthew wrote:

> On 28/10/10 00:41, Joe Btfsplk wrote:
>>> https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/TheOnionRouter/TorFAQ#WhyisitbettertoprovideahiddenserviceWebsitewithHTTPratherthanHTTPSaccess
>>>
>>> ***********************************************************************
>> Isn't the linked article kinda out dated?  It's still talking about
>> Privoxy.  I'm no expert, but I don't follow the article, as relates
>> to Tor / Polipo / Torbutton now.
>
> I am sure that Roger Dingledine's comment explains some of the errors
> and is based on the difference between Privoxy and Polipo when dealing
> with HTTPS.
Vidalia / Tor bundle no longer uses Privoxy.  Info sure seems out of
date.  Comments on blog or in mailing list aren't a good substitute for
official FAQs - probably small % of users subscribe to the mailing list.
>   However, a) the information is still on the web;
Yes.
> b) if you go to http://ht4w.co.uk/ you will see that the Introduction
> is dated 23 January 2010 which implies the information is up-to-date;
Up to date ?, but containing wrong info, according to others.  Besides,
why would one want (or expect) to go a blog site to get "official"
documentation on how Tor works?
> c) a neophyte would not necessarily understand the most recent
> incarnations of Tor / Polipo / TorButton.
Not a neophyte - just not a true expert.  As general rule, please don't
talk down to users, even IF neophytes, when they're asking legitimate
questions.  I take it w/ grain of salt - others might be offended.:-)