hidden service

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Wed Oct 20 03:30:53 UTC 2010

[In the future, please send your mail to only one list, not two. I just
subscribed you to or-talk, since you'd sent the mail there but aren't
on the list.]

On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 10:18:53AM +0800, torsecurity wrote:
> hello, I want to set up a hidden server in my private network. I have
>successfully build a private tor network, including one directory server
>and 4 OR nodes, but when I add hidden service in one of the OR node,
>it has an error, the log is:
>
> [warn] Publishing server descriptor to directory authorities of type
>'Hidden service', but no authorities of that type listed!
>
> I think the problem is in the directory server's configuration, how
>can I set up it to support the hidden service? Is there any example?

What Tor version are you using?

One of the changes in Tor 0.2.2.1-alpha is:
    - Hidden services no longer publish version 0 descriptors, and clients
      do not request or use version 0 descriptors. However, the old hidden
      service authorities still accept and serve version 0 descriptors
      when contacted by older hidden services/clients.

So if you're using Tor 0.2.1.26, the fix is to add the "hs" flag to
your dirserver lines.

The man page says:
       DirServer [nickname] [flags] address:port fingerprint

For some example lines, see add_default_trusted_dir_authorities()
in src/or/config.c, e.g.

If you're using Tor 0.2.2.x or later, though, the hidden service directory
servers are no longer centralized. We use a distributed hash table design
to spread the hidden service descriptors around all relays that have
the HSDir flag. The HSDir flag is only given to relays that have been up
for at least MinUptimeHidServDirectoryV2 seconds, which by default is 24
hours. My guess is that setting that config value to 0 on the directory
authorities should help in your case.

Were you using the TestingTorNetwork config option? If so, I think Tor
ought to set MinUptimeHidServDirectoryV2 to 0 for you automatically. But
it doesn't do that yet. I just opened a bug report to resolve it:

Thanks,
--Roger