Tor network connections constantly building / failing

Justin Aplin jmaplin at ufl.edu
Thu Oct 14 15:47:33 UTC 2010

On Oct 14, 2010, at 10:22 AM, Joe Btfsplk wrote:

> Thanks Mike,
> Question:  I'm new at this mailing list.  Instructions were to post
> comments / quest. to:  or-talk at seul.org.  But replies to my quest.
> come from or-talk at freehaven.net.
> Which address should I send ORIGINAL posts to & which for REPLIES to
> others' replies?

Welcome! Both original posts and replies can be sent to either
address, they'll both go out to the list. When sending mail to either
address, or-talk at freehaven.net gets added to the "Reply-To" header, so
I suppose for ease of separation you could consider or-talk at seul.org
to be your OP address and or-talk at freehaven.net to be your Reply
address. This isn't necessary, however, as plenty of OPs come in
through or-talk at freehaven.net.

> Q2:  For * current * topics, is there way or site to view
> discussions - before they show on the archives site?  Not sure if
> all discussions wind up on archives site & how long takes.

AFAIK, the seul.org archives are updated pretty much immediately.
There have been cases where the archive thread will show up before a
post will show up in my inbox.

> Re: Your questions:  Have home ADSL conn (non static IP). Direct /
> dry loop DSL w/ AT&T - U.S. - TX.  Unless they JUST changed how they
> treat Tor connections, probably not the ISP (tho not out of question).
>
> Just d/l & installed Vidalia 0.2.2.17a.  Have VERY limited testing
> w/ it so far, but the constant, RAPID building / failing of new
> connections seems to have stopped - for the moment.  Will do further
> testing.  I haven't tried other connections / open wifi.

Let us know what you see.

> Could just be temporary Tor network conditions, but before AND after
> installing Vidalia 0.2.2.17a, many pages now loading quite slowly vs
> same pgs in past months (comparing loading same pages on many diff
> days of wk & time of day).  Only diff on computer is upgrading to
> Firefox 3.6.10.  My non Tor DSL speeds are still good.

Tor speeds for me fluctuate wildly depending on the time of day, phase
of the moon, will of the gods, etc. Let us know if this is constant
after the further testing you mentioned above.

~Justin Aplin