Tor Bundle vs. Vidalia Bundle

Justin Aplin jmaplin at ufl.edu
Thu Oct 14 15:31:03 UTC 2010

On Oct 14, 2010, at 9:14 AM, zzzjethro666 at email2me.net wrote:

> hi.
> What is the difference between a Vidalia Bundle and a Tor Bundle,
> other than what I perceive as the obvious?
> One without the other? I thought they had to work together.

What they "have" to do depends on what you're trying to do. The Tor
program by itself does the legwork of building circuits and passing
data to/from the network. It has no GUI and acts based on settings in
the torrc text file. Tor is available on its own in the "Expert
Packages" section of the download page, as the only people using Tor
on its own are likely bridge, relay, and exit operators who know what
they're doing. It's not a "bundle" per se.

Vidalia is GUI program that interacts with Tor and makes its settings
easier to handle, along with other nifty features such as viewing the
network, logs, etc. The "Vidalia Bundle" on the download page is
designed to be installed on a computer you'll be using Tor on
regularly. That is, it isn't "portable", can't easily be carried with
you on a USB key or CD, and doesn't come with an internet browser. The
bundle includes Polipo, which makes funneling HTTP and SOCKS proxies
into Tor easier and safer.

The "Tor Browser Bundle" (the bundle I assume you're talking about in
your post) is the same set of programs, together with a locked-down
version of Firefox, that it designed to be completely portable. You
don't have to install it, so it's easy to carry with you on a USB key
or CD. Tor, Vidalia, Polipo, and the customized Firefox are all
seamlessly started with a single button in this package.

All of this information is available on the download pages and in the
documentation, I'd recommend reading through them.

~Justin Aplin