Excessive scrubs

Justin Aplin jmaplin at ufl.edu
Thu Oct 14 14:44:48 UTC 2010

On Oct 14, 2010, at 9:04 AM, Jon wrote:

> Yes, I did the save the file. This is a given, sorry.

This may also be a given, but did you restart Tor after doing this?
AFAIK (and I may be wrong), Tor does not read changes made to the
torrc after initialization.

> I had added the ' SafeLogging 0 ' to the file as per Tor-ops
> message/reply. Twenty four hours later when I saw that it had not
> removed the ' scrubbed ' and replaced it with the node/address, I
> checked the file again and it was not in the file where I put it.

Was Vidalia running when you edited the torrc? Vidalia (on Windows, at
least) has a bad habit of overwriting changes to the torrc that it
isn't aware of. Personally I think there should be a "Confirm before
modifying torrc" checkbox in Vidalia.

> I just checked it now, It is still in the file, but the logs still
> show the ' scubbed' and not the address as supposedly the '
> SafeLogging 0 ' was to replace. Time wise it appears to be at a
> minimum of once an hour. Which makes me believe it is the same address
> that is being scrubbed.

Try shutting down both Tor and Vidalia, making your edits, restarting
both, and rechecking your torrc/logs. If you've done all this, please
let us know.

~Justin Aplin