Tor 0.2.2.18-alpha is out

Justin Aplin jmaplin at ufl.edu
Thu Nov 18 01:11:44 UTC 2010

On Nov 17, 2010, at 7:55 PM, Roger Dingledine wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 07:50:05PM -0500, Roger Dingledine wrote:
>> If by "Tor-only" packages you mean the old "expert" packages, we
>> decided
>> to drop support for them:
>
> For background, see
>
> Sounds like we should do a better job of declaring a policy on what
> platforms we're trying to make work, and a better job of getting
> feedback
> from users when we ponder changes in this policy. Last I heard, Nick
> was working on a proposed policy draft so we can at least get a handle
> on where things stand currently. The challenge is that we have neither
> enough developers nor enough (trustworthy) build machines to support
> everything out there.

I missed that line in the OP. Since my particular machine runs a
single user and is logged in 24/7, I simply run the Vidalia package as
a relay and set it to start on login. Since this package is the one I
imagine the majority of Tor users on OSX will be running, it would be
nice to see it updated to 2.2.18a/0.2.10. Not to mention that the
switch to Intel processors was a relatively recent one, as far as
computer turnover goes, and there are still plenty of users out there
running PPC machines.

I agree that dropping the expert packages might be a good idea, but I
don't see a reason that the Vidalia bundles should fall behind.

~Justin Aplin