Debian/Ubuntu tor users, please check for core files

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Wed Nov 17 20:17:41 UTC 2010

Hi folks,

If you use our debs on Debian or Ubuntu, can you please do

ls -la /var/lib/tor/core*

as root, and let us know if you have any?

I want to get a sense of how many core files (from crashes) are piling up
for you.

If you do have core files, don't share them with anybody -- they could
include sensitive information like your past session keys or what
destinations you visited then.

Alas, due to a bug in Debian's current gdb:
http://bugs.debian.org/346409
these core files are not so useful with the Tor debs from 0.2.2.7-alpha
onward, since we ship them with compiler hardening flags (-pie) that
confuse gdb.

--Roger