New Bundle Version 1.3.10

Scott Bennett bennett at cs.niu.edu
Tue Nov 2 08:01:26 UTC 2010

     On Wed, 27 Oct 2010 10:22:07 +0000 Erinn Clark <erinn at torproject.org>
wrote:
>* M <moeedsalam at gmail.com> [2010:10:16 18:48 +0000]:=20
>> Why the switch to noscript? and link on the issue?
>
>Hey there,
>
>I am working on writing this up -- I sat down with Mike Perry, the Torbutton
>developer, and we went over what each of the Firefox extensions added. It's=
> not
>in any kind of proper document yet, but here are my notes about the new
>extensions so you aren't left hanging for too much longer:
>
>HTTPS-Everywhere
>- pre-emptively converts http URLs into https URLs for many popular
>  sites that support https
>
>NoScript
>- majority of options are disabled

     Erinn, I'm not sure what you meant there.  Did you mean that NoScript
disables the majority of Firefox options?  Or that the majority of NoScript
options is disabled in this version of the bundle?

>- allows users to globally toggle javascript
>- provide click-to-play placeholders in the event that users want to set to=
>rbutton to
>  enable plugins

     FWIW, I'd like to recommend also using QuickJava, which allows toggling
of Java and JavaScript individually.  In other words, allowing scripts in
NoScript allows one still to disable Java while leaving JavaScript enabled
if one so desires.  If scripts are disabled in NoScript, then clicking on
the QuickJava buttons has no effect.  I, for one, *never* want Java enabled
for anything, but in a very few cases, I do allow JavaScript to run.

>BetterPrivacy
>- exists only to delete flash cookies in the event that users allow
>  plugins and run certain flash apps. it cleans up any data that flash
>  might write outside of our control. (backup mechanism.)
>
>I'll let you know when I have a fuller analysis available.

     Okay.  You might want to look through all the stuff on the NoScript
web pages to get a better understanding of the extensive list of pretty awful
leakages and attacks that NoScript can block.

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG