SOCKS 4a or SOCKS 5 when using Polipo?

Matthew pumpkin at cotse.net
Sun Nov 21 11:48:59 UTC 2010

  Hello,

According to the Tor manual
(https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/TheOnionRouter/TorFAQ#IkeepseeingthesewarningsaboutSOCKSandDNSandinformationleaks.ShouldIworry)
one should use SOCKS 4a.

AIUI, Polipo or Privoxy are used as HTTP proxies which then allow the
client (Firefox) to "speak" to Tor as SOCKS 4a (therefore providing
hostnames rather than already resolved IP addresses as with SOCKS 4 or 5).

I therefore do not understand why in the Tor version of the Polipo
configuration file
(https://gitweb.torproject.org/torbrowser.git/blob_plain/HEAD:/build-scripts/config/polipo.conf)
it says:

# Uncomment this if you want to use a parent SOCKS proxy:

socksParentProxy = "localhost:9050"
socksProxyType = socks5

I am going to assume that the need to use a HTTP proxy no longer exists and
Firefox used as a SOCKS 5 client allows Tor to do DNS resolutions
remotely?  Could someone please explain or confirm this?

Many thanks.