Anonymity easily thwarted by flooding network with relays?

Theodore Bagwell toruser1 at imap.cc
Fri Nov 19 19:42:45 UTC 2010

On Fri, 19 Nov 2010 08:11 -0500, "Paul Syverson"
<syverson at itd.nrl.navy.mil> wrote:
> Your reactions are good. It's just that many people have had the
> same reactions so we've explored this, and nobody in all of the research
> done has yet produced a viable version of what you suggest.

The nature of the attack outlined in the paper is expensive. The paper
suggests rapid deployment, collection of data, and undeployment. The
longer the interloping system runs, the more it costs.

Perhaps, at a network level, we can detect a sudden massive deployment
of ORs and mark them as suspicious?

Or, as mentioned earlier, we can assign an OR a level of trust
commensurate with its age? (Admittedly, this may increase security at
the expense of delayed benefit of new ORs)

Either of these tactics may help to make such an attack more expensive
and/or less effective. Seems better than doing nothing.

Thoughts?

                          unladen european swallow