Using tor as proxy for the command line

Jacob Appelbaum jacob at appelbaum.net
Thu May 6 09:05:17 UTC 2010

=2Ecom>
> wrote:
>> I would like to know if it is possible to use tor as proxy for the com=
mand
>> line under linux (Ubuntu).
>>
>> If it is possible, how can I do it?
>>
>> PS: I would like to proxymise all the comunications from the command l=
ine
>> (wget, nmap,...)
>>
>      Note that wget(1) abides by the ftp_proxy and http_proxy environme=
nt
> variables described in fetch(3).  I suspect that torify(1) used with nm=
ap
> will not be particularly useful to you nor would you endear yourself to=

> exit operators by doing that.
>=20

I wrote a little program to ease my use of wget with Tor/Polipo/Privoxy:

% cat tor-wget
#!/bin/bash -x
export http_proxy=3D127.0.0.1:8118
export https_proxy=3D127.0.0.1:8118
wget -U " " $@
EOF

I also started working on a patch to nmap with Fyodor to work with SOCKS
proxies; it's in my (ioerror) svn branch on the nmap subversion server.
It sorta works but it's not great for anonymity because of the many
kinds of packets that nmap wants to send.

All the best,
Jacob