Bridges and China (new thread)

Ryan Day ryanday2 at gmail.com
Wed May 26 20:12:53 UTC 2010

> wrote:

> Is it worth adding a captcha to bridges.torproject.org? Incidentally,
> what happens when "adversaries" just block access to that site?
>
> How about responding to bridge request emails with a captcha style
> email attachment with the IPs of bridges?
>
> That would kill any automated attempt to scrape the bridges?
>
> Al

I have a project called ObfuscaTOR which reads bridge information and
displays it using captcha-style encoding.  Its a wordpress plugin, and
development is kinda stalled.  There have been some downloads, and a Reddit
post, but other then that interest seemed kind of low.  I even had one guy
email me to remove the project as I was helping to destroy the Tor Project.

This gets around "adversaries" blocking access because any one of the
millions of bloggers can include the plugin, so you can't block the whole
internet(unless you have a country wide firewall of course;)   As far as
automated scanning, I have heard China doesn't automate the process so much
as they have thousands of workers manually scanning for things such as this.

I like your email idea though,  its a lot easier to track and block email
requests from the same domain.  It seems like it would be a lot harder to
setup lots of fake mail servers.  How about incoming email being filtered
based on the sender however?

Ryan