[OT] another proxy, but not open source :-(

Justin Aplin jmaplin at ufl.edu
Tue May 25 07:30:34 UTC 2010

On May 25, 2010, at 2:45 AM, Scott Bennett wrote:

>     I don't know who "Censorship Research Center" might be, but they
> claim
> to have a development project going for another encrypted proxy
> service.
> However, they say it will be free software, but *not* be open
> source, so no
> one can examine what they have done in order to look for bugs,
> design flaws,
> etc. :-(  There isn't much real information at the web site,

Without the community support, I wonder how quickly it could be
adopted. I'm assuming it's going to rely on user-run exits like Tor,
and I wonder how many large contributors would be willing to install
closed-source software that they're not involved in developing on
their servers.

> but what little there is looks very much like an attempt to sucker
> people
> who don't understand much about security.
>     Oh.  I almost forgot.  Their FAQ page mentions tor, complaining
> about
> tor's publicly available directory and arguing that their method is
> better,
> while not mentioning bridges.

Haters' gonn' hate. I'll admit, though, that using bridges might be a
bit above the "average" user, especially when it comes to finding
them. Not exactly plug-n-play. I also don't see why it would be
terribly difficult for a sufficiently determined government to amass a
large list of bridges and make that option essentially (if not
completely) inviable.

I am a tad unnerved at the number of links to the donation page,
though I appreciate the costs associated with such an endeavor.

~japlin