[GSoC] Improving Snakes on a Tor

Damian Johnson atagar1 at gmail.com
Sat May 1 21:55:53 UTC 2010

Hi there John - glad to have you working with Tor! We're really anxious to
see where you go with this project since, as exemplified by the recent
incident with PrivacyNow [0], we're currently pretty miserable about
noticing and flagging bad exits.

Unfortunately our definition of a bad exit is pretty vague [1]:
  "BadExit" if the router is believed to be useless as an exit node
    (because its ISP censors it, because it is behind a restrictive
    proxy, or for some similar reason).

An easy place to start would be to solicit input on or-talk for a better
definition and enumerable attributes we can look for. Some obvious starting
ones would be ssl stripping, certificate tampering (checking for differences
like the Perspectives addon [2]), and bad DNS responses. I'd imagine Scott
Bennett would be glad to jump in with some more ideas. :)

Also, have you thought about setting up a site or blog where people can
check how things are coming along? Here's what I did when doing GSoC with
the SIP Communicator project: http://www.atagar.com/misc/gsocBlog/

Again, glad to have you and looking forward to working with you this summer!
-Damian

[0] http://archives.seul.org/or/talk/Apr-2010/msg00120.html
[1]
http://gitweb.torproject.org/tor.git?a=blob_plain;hb=HEAD;f=doc/spec/dir-spec.txt