Reducing relays = reducing anonymity ? Tortunnel.

Moritz Bartl tor at wiredwings.com
Wed May 19 21:41:48 UTC 2010

> To be more specific about what I mean by "equal
> resources": suppose that users of system X have
> 5 relays, and tor has 5 relays, and both
> sets of users used the same bandwidth.  If all
> users used one 10 relay system instead, the
> total bandwidth should be similar.

Tortunnel is not a separate network, but (ab)uses existing Tor exits. My
guess would be that tortunnel users - client only - don't think a lot
about adding exit relays to Tor. It's not developed any longer, and I
don't think many are using it anyway.

I agree with Stephen that it's not "per se" a threat to the Tor network.

> I can't help but think that there are indeed
> other use cases that would greatly benefit
> from a independent simpler transport-type
> lower-layer that tor could ride on.

Have you looked at I2P? http://www.i2p2.de/techintro.html
It for example allows both users and services to specify their hop
length, and uses packet switching instead of circuit switching.

--
Moritz Bartl
GPG 0xED2E9B44