Tor on the iPhone

Marco Bonetti sid77 at slackware.it
Sun May 16 09:57:13 UTC 2010

Topic changed to stop the old thread hijack :)

On 16/mag/2010, at 11.37, w <waterwaiter at gmx.com> wrote:

> Fantastic Marco
Thanks!

> A few questions:
>
> 1) The iPhone, especially the basic 3G model, seem pretty strapped
> for free resources (RAM and CPU cycles)... How does Tor fare with
> those limitations? How much RAM does it really need anyway?
I only have a 3gs model, but I got successful reports from at least an
iPod touch user, I'd say the hardware is ok to run Tor, at least as a
client only: keep in mind the program successfully run as a bridge on
a 64mb ram chumby one

> 2) Is Privoxy/Polipo needed for iPhone apps?
Yes, iPhone os does not support socks proxies in the network settings.
Said that, I only tested tor with mobile safari so far, don't really
know if other applications will honor those settings (think so, thought)

> 3) How does the Tor background process affect battery life?
Backgrounding itself is completely negligent, what affects the battery
life are cryptography operations tor will ask the CPU to carry out,

--
Sent from my iPwn